top of page


The dwelling fire policy still has a place in property insurance, namely for landlords who don’t have any interest in insuring the “contents” of a particular dwelling. However, most insurers will offer a small amount of coverage for “contents” on this type of policy. Often, landlords may require a few thousand dollars to cover appliances they furnish to a renter.


The person(s) renting the dwelling (or apartment) should always purchase a renters insurance policy to protect their “contents” inside the dwelling. Believing your personal possessions are covered by your landlord’s insurance policy is a common insurance myth that leaves several thousand people without insurance for their destroyed belongings each year in the U.S.


Vacant properties are insured using the dwelling fire policy form as well. These properties are inherently more risky for an insurer, so the coverage they are willing to offer is more restricted – which is the dwelling fire form.


For the record, it is possible, but NOT recommended, to purchase a dwelling fire policy for a home you own and occupy as a primary residence. The coverage is usually a little more restrictive than the homeowner’s insurance policy that you should purchase in this instance.

Image by Daniel Tausis
bottom of page