Ohio home insurance is the best way to protect your home. If your home or belongings were to be damaged, you could file a claim and be reimbursed. However, to make filing a claim easier, you should have a home inventory! This inventory is a list of everything you own. Here are some tips for creating a home inventory:
- Create a spreadsheet. You could use a paper and pencil, but you may find it easier to use the spreadsheet application on your computer. Create columns for the item description, date of purchase, and purchase price.
- Go through your home. Walk through every room of your house and fill in your spreadsheet. Don’t forget to open cupboards, closets, and drawers to get every last item. Don’t feel weird about writing down each pair of shoes and each sheet set. These things add up!
- Take photos. For collections, like DVDs and books, it can be beneficial to take photos instead of writing down everything. Take photos of these collections, making sure you can see each item.
- Collect receipts. If you have receipts for larger items, like furniture and electronics, collect them all and make copies.
- Make copies. Print multiple copies of your inventory, and store them in different places with the copies of your receipts. You’ll want to keep one with all your other important papers in your home, but don’t forget to keep copies in other places, too! If something were to happen to your home and you lost this inventory, it would be useless. Keep a copy at a neighbor’s house, with your parents, and in your safe deposit box. You can also save a digital copy in your email so you can access it from anywhere.
There you have it! A home inventory can take a while to put together, but if you schedule one room each Saturday, you’ll be done in no time. This inventory will make your Ohio home insurance that much more effective. Good luck!